Forum

Over-Clocking 101  

RSS

Bocaj
19/01/2017 9:01 pm  

Over-Clocking 101

What Is It?

Keys:{CPU=Central Processing Unit}{GPU=Graphics Processing Unit}{RAM=Random Access Memory}{MHz=Megahertz}{GHz=Gigahertz}{Mv=Millivolts}{OS=Operating System}{OC=Overclock}{== Means Equal To}{TDP=Thermal Design Power/Point}

Over-Clocking Is A Way Of Sucking More Power Out Of Your Components For Free. This Is Done To Mostly GPUs And CPUs And Occasionally RAM. You Can Get Higher Frame-Rates, Higher Processing Speeds. You Can Even Get Them To Run At Stock Higher Tier Components, For Example GTX 1070 Stock VS GTX 1080 Stock = GTX 1080 Wins GTX 1070 OC'ed VS GTX 1080 Stock = GTX 1070 Wins.

How Does It Work?ย 

It Works By The Software Asking For More Power(Of Which You Can Unlock And Give) The Hardware Then Demands More Voltage From The PSU ,Which Distributes Power Throughout The System And Fills The Capacitors For Quick And Heavy Demand. This Will Produces More Heat But Temperature Isn't That Much Of A Problem On How Efficient They Have Become, There Is A Warning On Most Of The Products Packing Of The TDP Which When Reached The Power Will Be limited To Bring The Temperature Down - For Example Power Limit Is At 100% But If Temperature Reaches 85 Degrees Celsius It Will Lower The Power Limit To 80%, This Will Lower Performance So Keep It As Cool As Possible(Shouldn't Be A Problem).

How Far You Over-Clock Mostly Depends On Your Motherboard and PSU. For Your Motherboard Check It's Chip-Set And What It Is DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ON IT, Find Out If It's Good For OC'ing Find Out If your Board Has A Good Power Delivery System This Is Mostly For The CPU Though. NOT ALL CPUs OVER-CLOCK THE SAME It Will Take Time To Find Your Own Sweet Spot. For Your PSU You Need To Do Research On It, Not As Vital But Important, If Your PSU Doesn't Have Enough Watts Your System Will Go Into A Cycle - This Happened To Me. Google Is Your Friend Here, USE IT.

There Are Many Programs That Will Over-Clock, Like Software Supplied With The Components Or My Personal Favorite Program MSI Afterburner

ย 

You Have GHz And MHz 1000 MHz == 1Ghz, Then You Have Memory Clock And Core Clock These Are For The GPU And Both Have Their advantages And Disadvantages And Can Be Optimized - But I Wont Go Into Them.ย This Can Be Dangerous To Hardware But If Done Right And Done With Patience It Will Be Fine.

If This Didn't Clear It Up I will Re-Write Or Extend It

How To Over-Clock: GPU Will Come At Later Date

Thank You To Demmsec For Making This Forum And Sub-Forum

Edited: 3 months  ago

JCX
"I Love Sarcasm, It's Like Punching Some One In The Face But With Words!" ๐Ÿ˜‰

PC Specs:
AMD FX 6300
MSI GTX 970
Corsair 650Watt

ReplyQuote
DemmSec
Eminent Member
20/01/2017 10:50 am  

Nice post ๐Ÿ™‚

Twitter: DemmSec
YouTube: DemmSec
All of the things: DemmSec

ReplyQuote
Bocaj
20/01/2017 2:33 pm  

Thanks Is Spent Quite A Bit Of Time Writing It And Wording It.

JCX
"I Love Sarcasm, It's Like Punching Some One In The Face But With Words!" ๐Ÿ˜‰

PC Specs:
AMD FX 6300
MSI GTX 970
Corsair 650Watt

DemmSec liked
ReplyQuote
Dial
 Dial
24/01/2017 4:57 pm  

good read, ,going to look into this